If your Chester Township, New Jersey home has a basement, flooding is unfortunately a risk that needs to be accounted for. Because they’re build below ground level, basements are naturally more prone to flooding than other parts of your home. Flooding is most likely to happen in wet weather, but for several reasons, it can also occur when it’s dry.
A flooded basement is a homeowner’s worst nightmare, and requires immediate plumbing repairs to prevent costly damage from occurring. If you’re dealing with a basement flood, call us now at The Sweet Plumber for 24-hour emergency plumbing repair in Chester Township.
Common Causes of Basement Flooding
Basements can become flooded for any of several different reasons. Some of these scenarios occur during heavy rains, but others are independent of the weather outside. Some of the most common factors that cause basement flooding, which requires immediate plumbing repair, include:
- Cracks in the foundation. Both the groundwater level, and the sewer system, contain water that can easily enter your basement and cause flooding if the foundation develops a crack. This can occur during rains, when water levels rise.
- Blocked or failing sewer lateral. Sewer lines can degrade over time from a combination of erosion, penetration by tree roots, and other factors. Built-up roots or sediment over time can also cause significant blockage, raising the chances of basement flooding. When your sewer line is blocked or broken, water will back up into your home. The basement is the lowest-lying area, so it’s the most likely to be subjected to flooding by wastewater. The water often comes through basement floor drains, toilets, or sinks. If your basement is flooded by wastewater, immediate plumbing repair is incredibly important. Not only does the water damage your floors, walls, and foundation, but sewage presents a serious health hazard.
- Failed foundation drainage. Many homes in Chester Township are built in low-lying areas, and use either gravity or a pump to keep the groundwater lower than the basement floor. Gravity-based foundation drainage systems can become clogged over time by sediment that leeches out of the water, and sump pump installation of a pump from manufacturers like Goulds, Liberty Pumps, and Zoeller can occasionally break down and fail.
- Breaks in hot water tanks or water supply lines. A major break in your home’s plumbing system can also cause your basement to flood. This can often happen in the winter, when the water in pipes can freeze and expand, breaking the pipe.
- Overland flooding. In heavy rains, surface water can begin to pool around the house, or accumulate in your driveway or the road outside. When the weather is severe enough, it can begin flowing into your home, potentially flooding your low-lying basement.
Basement flooding is a severe problem that absolutely can’t wait for repairs. It’s important to call a professional immediately, as soon as you notice the problem, to prevent costly damage to your home. At 1st Choice Plumbing and Drain, we provide 24/7 emergency plumbing repairs for major issues like basement flooding. Even if it’s 3 AM on a Sunday, we’ll have one of our certified technicians at your door immediately to fix the problem for you. Give us a call at 1-800-449-8932.