Common Problems with Electric Water Heater
Electric water heaters can present with many different types of problems, which a good NJ plumber is trained to recognize and repair. Although proper maintenance can help prevent the need for water heater repair, it can still break down from time to time. Some of the most common problems that homeowners encounter when something’s wrong with an electric water heater include:
- Lukewarm water. This can occur due to faulty heating elements in the water heater, which may need to be replaced or repaired. It can also be the result of plumbing issues that cause cold water to mix into the hot water before it reaches your plumbing fixtures. If this problem is occurring despite having a relatively new water heater, you may have inadvertently bought one that’s too small to handle the volume of hot water that you actually need. For this reason, it’s wise to consult with a professional local NJ plumbing company before selecting a new electric water heater.
- No hot water at all. If the problem isn’t a tripped breaker or a blown fuse, it might be an issue with an internal electrical connector.
- Leaks. Electric water heaters can leak for several different reasons. Overheating is a common culprit, causing the built-in temperature and pressure relief valve to fail. Corrosion of the tank can also lead to leakage, as can cracked pipes and faulty gaskets.
- Unusual noises from inside the tank. This usually means the water inside has begun to boil, which isn’t supposed to happen. The boiling creates cracking and popping sounds, and usually happens because sediment has built up at the bottom of the tank, raising the internal temperature above the boiling point of water.
- Foul-smelling water from the tank. Usually marked by the smell of sulfur, which resembles rotten eggs, this is a sign of bacterial colonies growing inside your water heater tank. The inside of the tank will need to be thoroughly cleaned out with safe disinfecting agents to prevent contamination by the bacteria.
If your taps aren’t producing any hot water, or your water isn’t as hot as it should be, your electric water heater probably needs to be fixed. To find out more about electric water heater repair in New Jersey, call The Sweet Plumber today, at 1-80-449-8932.